Friday, October 14, 2011

Ravioli Pillow: Part II

So now you have made your yo-yo's.  Good for you.  The rest of the project is EASY compared to all that yo-yo making!

If you already have a pillow you intend to cover, measure it's dimensions.  Mine is 10" x 10".   When I add an inch for seams all the way around, the front piece of the cover will be 12" x 12".  Attach your yo-yo's to the front of your cover in any way that pleases you.  Just be sure to leave room for your 1" seam all the way around.

I have chosen to make the back of my cover in an overlapping style.  If you choose to close your cover with a zipper, these instructions will not apply.

Recap:  From my fabric, I have cut one square of dimensions 12" x 12" and two rectangles with the dimensions 12" x 9".  The two rectangles will comprise the back of my cover and will overlap in the back.  This will allow me to remove the pillow to wash the cover.

I've cut four rounded corners on the front of my cover and two on each back piece.  When cutting rounded corners on the back pieces, be sure to cut them on the corners that make up the long side of your rectangle.  I simply used a drinking class to get uniform shapes for each rounded corner.


 (my apologies for the not-so-great picture)

The long edge of each rectangle that does NOT have rounded corners will be hemmed.  These are the edges that will overlap to create the opening of your pillow cover. When you have hemmed the edges (I like creativity and variety, so I'm not going to tell you how to do it!), lay out the front of your cover right side up.  Taking one of your rectangles, place it right side down on top of the front piece, making sure to align the rounded corners.  Do the same with your second rectangle.  You will see that the two rectangles overlap each other.  

Pin the edges all the way around your cover and stitch together.  Those rounded corners produce nice results.  No overly-pointy pillow corners here!




Just lovely.

1 comment: